20 Vase Čarapića St., Stari grad
The National Lottery building was constructed in 1899 to a design by the architect Milan Kapetanović and the engineer Miloš Savčić under the auspices of the Ministry of Economy as the first purpose-built lottery building in Serbia. The funds raised by the lottery were used to support many artistic and educational events in the country. At the time of construction, apart from the National Theatre and Captain Miša’s buildings, it was one of the most prestigious edifices between Kalemegdan and the present-day Square of the Republic. The national importance of the establishment had a bearing on the design of the exterior. It is a two-storey building in the style of academism, with the focus of attention on the corner façade which displays French neo-Renaissance and neo-Baroque elements, while the simpler side elevations feature Italian neo-Renaissance elements. The corner bay shows an arch-headed carved wooden door flanked by engaged banded columns which support a pediment that features a lion mask. The lion head motif is repeated in the ornament of the door combined with the acronym of the establishment. The door is surmounted by a French window the lunette of which shows the coat-of-arms of the Kingdom of Serbia. The bay is capped with a mansard roof with a clock. Located in one of the oldest parts of the city, the building testifies not only about the urban and economic development of Belgrade in the late 19th and early 20th century but also about the social and cultural prosperity and modernization of the capital on the model of major European cities.
Službeni glasnik RS br. 35/13