88, Omladinskih brigada, Novi Beograd
The hangar of the old airport built in 1929 is the only surviving structure of the former Belgrade Airport. The airport complex was developed on the site known as Dojno Polje on vacant land in the vicinity of Bežanijska Kosa. Construction ran in two phases from 1926 to 1932. The first phase saw the completion of a few barracks with associated military facilities, six large concrete hangars as well as the assembly of one larger and a few smaller metal-frame hangars obtained as war reparations from Germany. In the second phase, which began in 1929 and was completed in 1931/2, the complex received two grass runways, a modern airport terminal, an officers’ club, the technical part of the airbase with a workshop for aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul, and a large central storehouse of the Air Force. Of all the airport facilities, the only that has survived is the concrete hangar with service annexes. It was built to a design and under supervision of Milutin Milanković, an engineer, scientist and member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences. The hangar-workshop consists of the assembly hangar as its central part and two side annexes, which constitute one architectural and functional whole. Milanković’s use of concrete channel units for one part of the roof system was a significant structural innovation at the time and its first application in the country. The hangar of the old airport in Novi Beograd is the only surviving of all hangars built to Milanković’s engineering designs. In terms of type and engineering techniques applied it is one of the few surviving structures of the kind in the world. It stands as the only physical evidence of the existence of the first airport complex in Belgrade and is of particular relevance to the historical study of national aviation. As one of the few surviving structures of the type in the world it is an important testimony to the technical heritage of Belgrade and Serbia and the engineering skills of domestic designers and builders.
Službeni glasnik RS br. 72/13